Monday, May 6th, 2013 at
AIDS stands for Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome which means a person can get infected with a virus called the Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) which will weaken his / her immune system thereby making that person prone to a number of diseases. Get to know more information and facts about AIDS. Read on and learn from these AIDS facts
Useful facts about AIDS
- A person who is HIV positive does not necessarily mean has AIDS.
- AIDS / HIV is the 6th leading causes of death among Americans aged 15 – 24.
Fast facts about AIDS
AIDS is acquired by:
- Having sex with a person infected with HIV / AIDS
Continue reading Facts about AIDS224 words, reading time ~ 54 secs
Friday, April 19th, 2013 at
One of the most destructive natural disasters is Earthquake. It is also known as Temblors. It is quite hard to imagine that earthquake occurs by thousands across the globe every day, commonly in a form of small tremor.
About 80% of earthquakes usually occur along the Pacific Ocean rim, known as “Ring of Fire”, since volcanic activity is prevalent in this area as well. Majority of earthquake occurrences are due to tectonic plates that slide or collide against each other. The impacts created by the collision of tectonic plates are commonly unnoticeable and gradual on the Earth’s surface. On the other hand, colossal stress may build up between the plates. The quick release of the stress sends colossal vibrations through the rocks up to the surface. Gigantic vibrations are also called as seismic waves.
Continue reading Earthquake Facts290 words, reading time ~ 1:10 mins
Tuesday, April 2nd, 2013 at
Depression is not just a personal weakness but a common, serious disorder. Anyone can possibly have depression regardless of age or race. Depression, which can be treated, is caused by several factors such as hormonal changes, chemical imbalances in the brain, medications or traumatic life events. Increase your knowledge about this psychological disorder through these depression facts.
Basic Facts about Depression
As mentioned, several factors contribute to development of this illness. These factors include:
- Gender: Women have greater risks of experiencing clinical depression than men due to hormonal changes they undergo through during pregnancy, menstruation, menopausal period and childbirth.
- Medications: Depression could be one of the side effects of taking certain medications.
Continue reading Facts about Depression291 words, reading time ~ 1:10 mins
Sunday, March 17th, 2013 at
Get to know more information about country of Spain. This article will provide you different interesting Spain facts that cater Spain’s population, land area, location and more. Read on and enjoy our list of fun facts about Spain.
Fast Spain Facts
- Country Capital: Madrid
- Land Area: 195,364 sq. miles, making it the 51st world’s largest country
- Country’s Est. Population: 46,030,109 as of 2010, making it the 27th world’s most populous country
- Locals Name: Spaniards or Spanish
- Currency: Current: Euro; Former: Peceta
- Largest City: Madrid
- State Official Language: Spanish
- Climate: Spain has highly diverse climate, Continental Mediterranean climate to Subtropical climate depending on the regions
- Main Industries: Manufacturing (chemicals, metals, food and beverages, footwear, apparel) Machinery, Shipbuilding, Textiles, Tourism
Continue reading Facts about Spain223 words, reading time ~ 54 secs
Thursday, February 28th, 2013 at
Autism is a neural development disorder characterized by repetitive and restricted behavior and impaired social communication and interaction. This kind of condition is prevalent among children particularly males. Symptoms and signs of autism start to manifest at the age of 3 years old. It alters how brain nerve cells and synapses connect and function. Get to know more information about autism. Listed below are different facts about autism.
Useful Autism Facts
- Of 500 childbirths, one may have autism. On the other hand, it is known that autism is more prevalent among boys. In fact, the ratio of autism cases among boys over girls is 5:1.
Continue reading Facts about Autism256 words, reading time ~ 1:01 mins
Monday, February 11th, 2013 at
Anorexia nervosa, or simply anorexia, is a kind of eating disorder in which the sufferer tends to feel anxious about gaining weight and distorting his/her body shape. In contrast to what most people believe, anorexia does not only occur to women but also to large number of men. If you are looking for more information about anorexia, you’ve come at the right place. In this article, you will be able to know the important facts about anorexia.
Interesting Facts about Anorexia
- Of teenage female population, roughly 1% may suffer from several form of anorexia.
- In current society, one of the main causes of anorexia is peer pressure.
Continue reading Facts about Anorexia263 words, reading time ~ 1:03 mins
Saturday, January 26th, 2013 at
Facts about Jackie Robinson
Jack Roosevelt Robinson was a legendary baseball player and civil rights activist. African-American by descent, he broke the color barrier in baseball by becoming the first African – American to join the major leagues in 1947. Want to know more information about Jackie Robinson? Then read on and enjoy these Jackie Robinson facts that feature short biography of Jackie, his achievement and more.
Quick Facts about Jackie Robinson
- Born on January 31, 1919 in Cairo, Georgia.
- He retired with a remarkable batting average of .317.
- He married a nursing student, Rachel Isum, in 1946 with whom he had three children.
- He died on October 24, 1972 in Stamford, Connecticut due to diabetes and heart problems.
Continue reading Facts about Jackie Robinson253 words, reading time ~ 1:01 mins
Wednesday, January 9th, 2013 at
Germany perhaps is one of the most wonderful and preferable countries to visit across the globe. This country houses enchanting castles, gushing lakes, lush green sceneries, fascinating villages and wonderful mountain covered by snow. Want to know more facts about Germany? These Germany facts are for you. Enjoy our wide-range list of interesting and fun facts about Germany.
Fast Germany Facts
- Country Capital: Berlin
- Land Area: 137,847 sq. miles, making it the 63rd world’s largest country
- Country’s Est. Population: 81,757,600 as of 2010, making it the 15th world’s most populous country
- Locals Name: German
- Currency: Euro
- Largest City: Berlin
- State Official Language: German
- Climate: Mostly temperate
Continue reading Facts about Germany219 words, reading time ~ 53 secs
Sunday, December 23rd, 2012 at
New York is well-known for its financial, transportation, business and cultural status. It is also referred as gateway for immigration to USA. This state houses the largest public library and 176 parks in US. Mentioned are just basic facts about New York. Enrich your knowledge and find out more information about the so-called “Empire State”. Read on and enjoy our wide-range interesting New York facts.
Quick Facts about New York
- State Capital: Albany
- Land Area: 54, 475 sq. miles, making it the 27th largest US state
- No. of Counties: 62
- State Abbreviation: NY
- Population: 18,976,457 from 2000 census, making it the 3rd most populous US state
- Largest City: New York
- Locals Name: New Yorkers
Continue reading Facts about New York305 words, reading time ~ 1:13 mins
Friday, December 7th, 2012 at
John Milton was an English poet, pamphleteer and polemicist. His most famous work was “Paradise Lost”, considered to be one of the greatest epic poems of all time. If you are searching for more facts about John Milton, this article is for you. Given below are some interesting and concise John Milton facts.
Fascinating Facts about John Milton
- Wrote “Lycidas”, a great pastoral elegy which was published in 1637
- Knew several languages such as Hebrew, French and Italian
- Regarded by William Blake as the major English poet during his time
Interesting Facts about John Milton
- His father was banished and disinherited by John’s great grandfather for reading an English Bible
Continue reading Facts about John Milton222 words, reading time ~ 53 secs